The proposition of the Graduate Program (Masters of Arts) in Languages and Literature with two areas of study, Literary Studies and Linguistic Studies, is directed by two basic guidelines:
- the demand to train qualified professionals for university education in Languages and Literature, due to the demand of higher education institutions in the region of influence of Universidade Federal de Viçosa (UFV) and to enable the improvement of primary and secondary school teachers;
- the demand to contribute to the advancement and consolidation of existing research groups at Departamento de Letras at UFV, where research projects, scientific productions and the academic guidance take place.
I. Promote research aimed at the development of advanced studies in Linguistics and Literature, from contemporary theoretical perspectives, making use of the necessary interdisciplinary dialogue with areas that have interfaces with the scope of language.
II. Qualify high academic level professionals with the ability to:
- Conduct research, contributing to the scientific development of the areas of Linguistic and Literary studies;
- Promote the diffusion of knowledge, integrating teaching and research;
- Act in teaching and in other professional areas connected to Literary and Linguistic Studies.
III. Contribute to the consolidation of an institutional policy of continued investment in Stricto sensu Graduate Programs.
IV. Articulate teaching and research activities, developed both in the undergraduate and in graduate programs, enabling the organization of core themes and research projects around issues relating to Language and Literary and Studies .
V. Offer opportunities for students to develop both their academic knowledge and ability to conduct research in their areas of interest.
VI. Collaborate and establish exchanges and partnerships with national and international research centers, which focus their researches on linguistics and literature.